Website Tlingit Haida Tribal Business Corporation
KIRA Training Services
Rock Island Arsenal, Rock Island, IL
Non-Exempt | CBA
Tlingit Haida Tribal Business Corporation (THTBC) a family of 8(a), HUBZone, SDB, and other companies wholly owned by the largest tribe in Alaska. Each of its wholly owned 30+ subsidiaries are uniquely qualified to deliver value to its customers and teaming partners. For over 30 years, THTBC has operated as a trusted US Federal contractor throughout the US and worldwide. THTBC delivers outstanding service with innovative, low-cost contract solutions to all its public and private sector customers worldwide.
Scope of Work:
This position serves as a ground-person on the bridge draw-span over the Mississippi River at the Rock Island Arsenal and is a four year Bridge Operator Apprenticeship Program. Upon completion of this Apprenticeship Program the individual will be classified as an Intermediate Bridge Operator with a Bridge Operator Certification.
Bridge Operator Apprenticeship Program Requirements.
- Must be competent as a ground-person within 90 days.
- Within one year must be competent to operate the swing-span bridge under the guidance of a bridge operator or bridge supervisor.
- After two years of ground-person experience must be qualified as an intermediate bridge operator.
- After four years must be certified as a bridge operator.
- Every six months during the program a documented performance evaluation will be conducted to ensure the candidate is meeting the requirements of the program.
Note: Competency is determined by the Bridge Supervisor.
- Checks signals and rail locks. Checks and cleans bridge jacks, pedestals and turntables. Inspects entire bridge span for any lights out; removes rubbish and debris from traffic lanes.
- During operation of swing span, may be required to clear all pedestrian and vehicular traffic from span. When clear, closes barrier arms, roadway gates and sidewalk gates when controls are in the manual position. Signals bridge tower when all is secure. After turn is completed, reverses the procedure, returning to normal traffic flow.
- Assists with the greasing and preventive maintenance of the bridge and paints. Cleans intersection and underpass. Keeps weeds cut in parking lot and mows areas of bridge responsibility.
- During the winter renovation works in the repair crew. Assists the Operator in the control tower with the turning operation to acquire an overall knowledge of the function of all equipment, safety precautions, railroad and waterways rules and regulations.
Failure to complete the Apprenticeship Program will result in the employee’s termination from Rock Island Integrated Services employment.
- As a federal contractor, THTBC is subject to any federal vaccine mandates or other customer vaccination and/or testing requirements. All new hires are required to report their vaccination status and employment is conditioned on meeting all customer and contractual requirements.
- Mechanical background.
- One year general labor or general maintenance work.
- Use of all types of hand tools, chain hoists, and porta power, drills, grinders, hydraulic jacks and ability to rig for heavy lifts.
- Safety awareness with pedestrian and vehicular traffic.
- The Bridge Ground-person must possess the ability and willingness to train for Bridge Operator/Mechanic position.
- The Bridge Ground-person must be competent to operate the Bridge within one year of Bridge Ground-man position start date.
- Proficient computer skills to include using office automation software (MS Windows, MS Office, including PowerPoint, Word, and Excel) required.
- Must possess and maintain a valid State Driver’s License as required by the position.
- Must have a safe driving record, as defined by Company policy, to operate a company vehicle.
- Must be able to successfully complete pre-employment screening to include Motor Vehicle Record check.
- Subject to random drug and alcohol testing in accordance with Federal Department of Transportation and Railroad regulations.
- Frequently climb steps on underpass, to turntable and steps to north pier and steps 85 feet high to operating tower.
- Work outside in all types of weather and extreme hot temperatures in summer and extreme cold temperatures in winter.
- Occasional bending, squatting, crouching, and reaching above shoulder level. Occasional lifting, carrying, and pushing up to 50 lbs.
- Maximum lifting/carrying capacity per employee is 40 lbs.; team lifting or mechanical means is required thereafter.
- Exposure to vehicle fumes.
- Requires good vision, good depth perception, reaction reflexes, and extraordinary eye and hand coordination because of the demand for close operation in order to minimize traffic delay.
- Incumbent is exposed to inclement weather (extreme hot, cold, rain, wind and snow), heights and working over water.
- Must be able to perform on-call duties when and report to work within the required timeframe from notification.
- Ability to work in a 24-hour, 7 days a week, shift operation.
BRIDGE SHUTDOWN REQUIREMENTS: Every December the swing span bridge is shutdown to navigational traffic and reopened in February or March, during this time temporary layoffs may occur. One bridge operator and one ground person are required for the operation and maintenance of the bridge during this time frame. The most two senior operators will have the choice of staying. Top senior operator will stay in his or her position and the second most senior operator will drop down to a ground’s person with grounds person wage.
THTBC offers eligible employees a comprehensive benefits package which includes:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision coverage
- Health Savings Account (HSA)
- Hospital Indemnity Plan
- Company paid short term Disability, Basic Life and AD&D
- Employee paid voluntary Life, long term disability and AD&D for dependents
- Vacation, Sick Time and PTO Plan
- 401(k) Retirement Plan
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform all the essential duties of the position satisfactorily. The requirements are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. May be required to obtain and maintain a security clearance, including successfully completing a thorough background investigation.
THTBC is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our hiring practices provide equal opportunity for employment without regard to race, religion, color, sex, gender, national origin, age, United States military veteran’s status, ancestry, sexual orientation, marital status, family structure, medical condition including genetic characteristics or information, veteran’s status, or mental or physical disability so long as the essential functions of the job can be performed with or without reasonable accommodation, or any other protected category under federal, state, or local law.
EEO Information-English Version
Pay Transparency -English Version
EEO Information-Spanish Version
Pay Transparency –Spanish Version
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us and let us know the nature of your request. Requests for accommodations will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
To apply for this job please visit workforcenow.adp.com.