About Facilities Maintenance
What is Facilities Maintenance?
Facilities maintenance plans, guides, and supports all the things that run behind the scenes of our modern life. There is an old joke that facilities maintenance is “roads and commodes,” but the truth is this industry includes everything from heating and air conditioning to roadside maintenance, power plant repair, sewer subsystems, and literally hundreds of other labor-intensive services.
When facilities maintenance is done right, it is nearly invisible — what you notice is that everything in a building, on a campus, or in an entire city works well, looks beautiful, and is impeccably maintained. When problems do arise, there is an organized system for quickly identifying and repairing the problem, as well as backup systems in place to prevent any disruption of day-to-day activities.
In short, when we do our job, you don’t notice us at all. Some of the services we provide include:
- Facilities planning
- Managing maintenance workers
- Supporting administration buildings
- Supply and property control
- Pest control
- Facilities work control
- Shipping and receiving
- Grounds maintenance and landscaping
- Road maintenance
- Janitorial services
- Maintenance of motor vehicles
- Maintenance and repair of airport terminals
- Housing operations and maintenance
- Hazardous substance control and disposal
- Maintenance and operation of utilities
- Maintenance of power plant
- Water treatment
- Refuse collection
- Qualified recycling program
- Operation of construction and civil engineering equipment
- Dispatch and assignment of vehicles
- Engineering support
- Machine shop and welding services
- Hospital maintenance
- Marine Department operations (including shoreline, dock and waterfront maintenance).